Eight veterinary staff poisoned by exposure to phosphine gas
Dogs being treated for ingesting pest-killers have exposed veterinary staff to hazardous phosphine gas by vomiting.
Zinc phosphide is commonly used to kill rodents. When a pet accidentally consumes the poison common procedure is to induce the animal to regurgitate, however zinc phosphide releases poisonous phosphine gas after contact with stomach acid and as a result can poison staff in an enclosed room.
Where possible staff should try to induce regurgitation outside and upwind of any poisonous gases.
For more information and helpful resources specific to vets visit the Veterinary Poisons Information Service.